Football – Little Common 2 – 0 Horsham YMCA

Martin Read – Sports Reporter

Photo by Robyn Golding

Horsham YMCA came away empty handed from their long trip to play mid table Little Common at Eastbourne’s sunny Princes Park Oval last Saturday, the game following a similar pattern to recent matches with YM competing for most of the game, only to concede late deciders.

In dire need of a win, YM earned ten corners, compared with Little Common’s four, so there was no shortage of effort or opportunity, but finding the net is currently the problem. After an even opening, the hosts had a corner, followed by three in short order for YM resulting from home keeper Phil Hawkins tipping a shot over the bar. A strong YM strike was then chested out by Hawkins and scrambled clear, before Kian Moyles corkscrewed wide for Common. Jack Ryder then rushed through for YM to get into a potential one on one situation, but the ball was kicked away ahead of a long range blast being off target, followed by Ryder’s attempt inducing another corner, blazed over by Reece Batchelor.

Common, though were also creating chances, with a close call being averted, and when action switched to the other end Adrian Todd headed a free kick just wide for YM. Aaron Jeal pulled off an overhead save to keep Common at bay, then Dean Carden’s cross and Will Read’s long range volley maintained pressure. Common survived a scare when the ref awarded YM a penalty when Read burst through and went to ground, but the decision was rescinded after consultation, the first half ending goal-less.

Resuming, YM enjoyed increased possession with a good strike from Todd going just over after Common had also been too aerial and unable to connect with a threatening cross. A Carden floater and through ball earned YM two more corners to no avail, until the game was interrupted by three YM yellow cards in quick succession, including two seemingly harsh interpretations. Both sides looked impotent in front of goal, but the deadlock was finally broken in the 75th minute when Lewis Parsons’ header got past the full stretch Jeal.

YM rang the changes and sub Diego Carmo headed over, with subsequent hectic YM action reaping no reward, before, with 5 minutes of normal time remaining, an incursion through open defence enabled James Miriam-Batchelor to tap home Common’s second. Ryder and Charlie Maguire had late shots, but the game had been safely put to bed by Common, YM Coach Lee Maguire telling the County Times: “We had plenty of possession, with better shape and we got little bits right, and created more chances than they did – we just need to add to that. We’ll be bringing in two new forwards for our league match against Hassocks at Gorings Mead on Tuesday evening.”
YM remain in the penultimate berth after bottom-placed East Preston lost 5-0 at Lingfield, while next opponents Hassocks (11th) were thrashed 8-0 by leaders Horley Town.

Sussex Senior Cup news – in Round 2, with the date to be confirmed, YM have a home tie against Haywards Heath Town. Heath currently lie bottom in the Isthmian League South East Division, with one draw from five starts. The full draw can be viewed here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *