Council supports self-isolation payments

Residents on low incomes who are told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate – either due to a positive Covid-19 test or being in contact with someone who has tested positive – may be entitled to financial support during self-isolation.

Since Monday (28 September), people across England have been required by law to self-isolate if they test positive or are contacted by NHS Test and Trace. Breaking this law could now lead to a fine of between £1,000 and £10,000.

When self-isolating, people must not go to work, school or any other public spaces. Any exercise should be taken within the home, and friends or family should be asked to buy food or other essentials.

Benefits claimants who need to self-isolate but are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result are eligible for a lump sum Test and Trace Support Payment of £500. In the Horsham District, these payments are being managed on behalf of the government by Horsham District Council.

Councillor Tricia Youtan Horsham District Council Cabinet Member for Community Matters and Wellbeing said:

“With case numbers in our area set to rise again, breaking the chain of transmission is critical. So if you are told to self-isolate, please do so to protect your friends and family and break the chains of transmission.

“We appreciate these are such difficult times for a great many people and the Council very much welcomed the news that the Government is providing further support to people  who are being forced to self-isolate and cannot therefore go to work and earn.”

To claim you must have a notification from the NHS Test and Trace service asking you to self-isolate. You must be in-work, unable to work from home and receive at least one of Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Employment Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

To claim you will need:

  • The unique ID number from your NHS Test and Trace notification
  • To provide details of your employment, including the email address of your employer so they can confirm that you are unable to work from home
  • A recent bank statement, business accounts or evidence of self-assessment tax returns if you are self-employed
  • Your bank details and a recent bank statement
  • Your National Insurance number.


For more details visit:

Our online form enabling you to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment will be available by 12 October. Claims can be backdated to 28 September for those that were told to isolate from this date. A customer can make a claim up to 14 days after the isolation period has ended. Any claim after 14 days cannot be accepted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *