Horsham endure Surrey misery 

Saturday February 29 – The BetVictor Isthmian League Premier Division

Football – Carshalton Athletic  4-0 Horsham

Martin Read – Sports Reporter

Horsham did not enjoy their visit to Carshalton’s windy War Memorial Sports Ground last Saturday. In October’s home fixture four goals were scored – two per side – and this time the tally was the same, but with all four knocked in by Carshalton, two in each half, with Horsham’s fragile away form continuing to haunt them, despite an improved second half display. Coming into the game the two teams were juxtaposition in the table, but there was a marked gulf in the fortunes of the sides on the day, with Horsham suffering their biggest defeat of the campaign. 

With the gale at their backs, Carshalton put Horsham under the cosh inside two minutes when Christie Pattisson converted Luke Read’s cross. A lengthy stoppage soon followed after Omar Koroma was felled by a blow from the ball to his head, terminating his involvement after he was rushed to hospital for concussion investigation. Although the tempest was making life difficult for the players, Carshalton kept pressing, only to be thwarted by an offside decision, with Ricky Korboa’s header going on to hit the bar. Horsham gradually came into the game, first with Harvey Sparks’ strike off target, before, in a more promising move, Alex Clark and Lee Harding combined, but again the radar was adrift, Horsham soon being made to pay when Ernold Haxhiu, subbing for the injured Koroma, got the ball past Hornets’ keeper George Bentley. The conditions turned even more miserable with increasing wind velocity and the advent of sleet, making ball control nigh on impossible at times, and introducing an element of lottery, Horsham benefiting when a potentially dangerous cross was blown astray. Carshalton, though, should have scored again, but Korboa fluffed a golden one on one opportunity, and the hosts had further chances before the break, Haxhiu firing past the post and Korboa shooting straight to Bentley.

With Horsham resuming two down in somewhat improved conditions, Lea Dawson induced a superb close save from Carshalton goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou ahead of Charlie Harris’ blast being tipped off for a corner, a similar set piece following when Clark’s strike was also turned away. Then, as Horsham strove to reduce the deficit they were aggrieved when a free kick was harshly awarded against them as they threatened the goal. And, anguish turned to dismay when, on 73 minutes a breakaway move culminated with Kershaney Samuels unleashing a rocket to put Carshalton three goals to the good with their first real scoring opportunity of the second half. Horsham kept battling, but Harding was too aerial and Perntreou neutralised Harris’ free kick. Carshalton then twisted the knife, when, again on the break, a well constructed foray up field ended with Korboa fashioning the Surrey side’s fourth. Horsham might have scored a consolation goal at the death, but a Harry Mills corkscrew was palmed clear by Perntreou.

Sixth-placed Horsham will look to get back to winning ways when they return home to play Potters Bar Town (12th) on Saturday, having beaten the Hertfordshire side 2-0 in November’s corresponding away fixture. Then, on Tuesday (10th), eighth in the table Bognor Regis come to the Camping World Stadium. 

Meanwhile, Worthing remain top, seven points clear of Hornchurch.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *