Old Colfeians 38 62 Horsham

Saturday March 30 – London 2 South East
Old Colfeians 38 62 Horsham
Martin Read – Sports Reporter
This season Old Colfeians had been something of a bogey side to Horsham –
in December Horsham were narrowly pipped at home, then, in February they
were beaten 38-28 in the RFU Intermediate Cup. But, last Saturday when it
really mattered, with a play off spot at stake, Horsham put things right. The
OCs scored 38 points again, but that mattered not as Horsham scored far
more. Yet, although Horsham scored first and early, after half an hour OCs
were well in front, with Horsham needing considerable resolve to overtake
them, for their initial victory at south east London’s Horn Park. Jamie
Redmayne put Horsham ahead in the first minute when he finished off a
trademark Declan Nwachukwu run, Tom Johnson converting from an angle.
However, it soon became apparent that Horsham needed to be firm and
accurate, otherwise OCs would flourish and strong pressure from the hosts
saw them respond with a maximised try and penalty to usurp the lead. Worse
followed when an intervention enabled the hosts to notch up the first of two
additional converted tries and suddenly Horsham were 24-7 adrift. Redmayne,
though soon gathered Kyle Fairs’ supply to erode the deficit before
Nwachukwu sped over the line, which with Johnson’s boot, significantly
narrowed the gap. And, with half time beckoning, Horsham regained the lead
– 24-26 – courtesy of a Mike Watts try duly kicked over.
Soon after the restart Johnson’s penalty eased Horsham further in front
before Watts dummied through with another try, Johnson’s boot obliging to
give Horsham a 12 point advantage, promptly boosted to 19 by Nwachukwu
and Johnson. Shortly afterwards Watts was put through wide to score and,
not to be outdone Nwachukwu got over, too – twice – Johnson converting two
of the three, Horsham thundering to 62 points, having added 55 since the
OCs last scored – the Londoners did notch up two converted tries at the
death, but Horsham’s blistering second half had long since ambushed the
game. Naturally elated by his side’s stunning showing, Horsham Head Coach
Nick Stocker said: “This was always going to be the defining test of our
promotion aspirations – travelling to the penultimate game of the season
against strong opposition with them on a quest to get to Twickenham in the
cup would ask questions of most teams. Despite getting on the scoreboard
first, we started slowly, basic errors allowing OCs to surge into a 24-7 lead.
Thereafter we played to our structure, stretching their defence for our
dangerous runners to exploit. After half time we accelerated away with a
steady stream of tries executing high skill at pace in a spell of great teamwork
and aggressive defence. With such a complete team performance the
coaches eventually awarded a shared man of the match across the team,
notwithstanding Declan Nwachukwu’s four tries, increasing his seasonal tally
to 32.” On Saturday Horsham welcome Maidstone – whom they beat
resoundingly in Mote Park in September – with the opportunity to nail down

second place and a play off spot. Meanwhile, Beckenham remain top with 91
points with Horsham, after nine league wins on the bounce, second on 85 and

Charlton Park third with 82.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *