News

Hunt after train boy attacked with knife

Passengers travelling to Horsham could hold clues to a knife assault on a train.

Officers from British Transport Police are appealing for information after a 15-year-old boy was assaulted by a man on a train to Littlehaven, near Horsham.

It is believed the attack was completely unprovoked.

Police said the boy joined the service with a group of his friends. The group was seated on the train near a man. The man, who was said to be acting in an unusual manner, then asked the group of boys “Do any of you have a problem with me?” 

After “no” was uttered, the man lunged towards the victim and held what is believed to have been a knife to his throat and taunted and threatened him.

The man then walked away from the group and left the train at Horsham. He then joined a second train to Ockley. Police said that fortunately the boy did not sustain any injuries. 

The incident happened at about 2.47pm on February 7 and an appeal for public help was launched on Thursday of last week together with an image of a man police would like to interview in connection with the incident.

PC Mark Brookes from British Transport Police, said: “The group of boys were incredibly frightened by this man’s threatening and violent behaviour. This unprovoked assault left the young boy fearing for his life. Did you witness what happened?

“I would like to speak to the man shown in the CCTV image as he may have information which could help the investigation. Violent incidents such as this are thankfully rare, and we have a number of active enquiries in place to trace the man responsible.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the transport police by sending a text to 61016 or call 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 216 of 09/03/2017. Alternatively, people can pass information anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *