Horsham’s frail defence concedes another four goals

FA Cup Preliminary Round
Sevenoaks Town 4 – 2 Horsham

Horsham’s miserable start to the season continued as they were well and truly beaten by Sevenoaks Town ending their involvement in the FA Cup for another season. Only two very late goals from Terry Dodd and Charlie Farmer gave some respectability to the score after the Hornets went in at half time 3-0 down which became 4-0 in the second period.
Again it was defensive errors at the root of things when after 11 minutes Scott Harris played a poor pass which Joe Bingham ran onto easily outpacing the Horsham defence before opening the scoring. After gifting the early goal Horsham rallied and chances came, and went, for Terry Dodd, Lee Carney and Joe Shelley however the jittery looking Horsham defence was breached again on 41 minutes. After minutes before having just escaped some poor defending of a free kick Horsham failed to learn the lesson at set pieces and were caught out with a corner kick where they left Town’s Adam Marsh totally unmarked to head in at the far post.
Another piece of erratic defending followed, this time from returning ‘keeper Josh Pelling, who recklessly raced off his line and bundled over Byron Walker, however Pelling made up for his carelessness by saving Edwards penalty. The relief for Horsham was short lived as inexplicably just a minute later Pelling had another rush of blood to the head and rushed out once again to bring down Walker in a repetition of his previous error. The referee showed some leniency with Pelling and spared him a second yellow but unlike last time Bingham gave him no chance from the spot.
With the game effectively over the second half was a pretty tame affair and not even the strong wind at the Hornets backs could push them towards making inroads into the three goal deficit. Darren Boswell did hit a post but it was the home side who hit the net again when Harrison Carnegie followed up his own lob of the bar to find Yacine Gnahore, who simply made it 4-0. As the minutes ticked away another penalty was awarded, this time to Horsham, and Dodd stepped up for his first of the season. In injury time Farmer nodded in Dodds corner for a second Horsham goal, but it was all too little too late.
Horsham have another Kent trip this Saturday (August 20) as they travel to Hythe for a Ryman League fixture. The Garden of England is usually a fruitless venture for Horsham and with their defence as error strewn as it is, there is little hope for change.

Dave Smith – Sports Editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *