Hornets beaten in Shield by Eastbourne Borough

Sussex Community Shield

Horsham 0 – 3 Eastbourne Borough

Horsham’s first attempt at winning some silverware this season – the Sussex Community Shield – was not surprisingly thwarted by Conference South side Eastbourne Borough on Tuesday evening. The match was played at Culver Road on Lancing FC’s synthetic pitch which given the wet and windy autumnal like conditions made for some slick and fast football.

What was already going to be a difficult task was made worse as the Hornets fell behind as early as the ninth minute. Borough’s Nathaniel Pinney split the Horsham defence with a run before setting up Gavin McCallum for a simple finish.

Borough continued to have most of the ball and looked the greater threat going forward and it was not until just before the break that Horsham had their first real attempt on goal; a well hit Darren Boswell shot bringing out a fine save from ‘keeper Lewis Carey. It was so nearly 2-0 however just before the end of the first half when Alex Duncan done well to head clear Jamie Taylor’s attempt on goal and then Gavin McCallum rattled the crossbar with Horsham keeper James Shaw well beaten.

The match was effectively over just 15 seconds after the restart when Pinney rose to head Taylor’s cross past Shaw for 2-0. The two Borough strikers Pinney and Taylor were a thorn in Horsham’s side all night and between them epitomised the difference in class showed by the Conference team. When on 62 minutes Pinney again left the Horsham defence in a trail behind him before rounding Shaw to slot home, Borough had the Shield firmly in their grasp. From here on the match became a bit niggly with many Horsham players reacting to quite a few unnecessary heavy tackles from the Borough defence and so manager Dom Di Paola must have been pleased to hear the final whistle come with no obvious injuries or red cards against his players.



Dave Smith – Sports Editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *