Whitehawk too strong for gallant Horsham

Tuesday January 12 – Sussex Senior Cup – Round 3

Whitehawk 4 – 0 Horsham

Horsham’s involvement in the Sussex Senior Cup came to an end on Tuesday night at Whitehawk who now take a step nearer retaining the cup they won last season. Whitehawk, who play their league football three divisions higher than the Hornets in the National League South, had a little too much class on the night for Horsham although the Hornets put in a tremendous effort and the final score line was a little flattering.

Fresh from their recent exploits in the FA Cup where they came close to upsetting Football League 2 side Dagenham and Redbridge – taking them to a replay and then extra time in front of the TV cameras – Whitehawk dominated the early exchanges. David Martin and Scott Nelson both had efforts that flew narrowly wide before on thirteen minutes the pressure told and the hosts took the lead. Ex Crawley Town star Sergio Torres tore through the Horsham midfield and found Sam Deering who hammered a long range shot into the net despite ‘keeper Gareth Williams getting a hand to it. Whitehawk continued to press with midfielder Torres pulling the strings but Horsham’s well drilled defence held firm.

Horsham had a rare foray up-field leading to Darren Boswell firing just wide after some good neat passing between himself and Terry Dodd. Immediately after Horsham’s attack however Whitehawk doubled their lead when another forceful run ended up with the ball reaching Awand Mendy who fired past Williams for a 2-0 half time lead.

Immediately from the restart Horsham nearly grabbed a goal back when Hawks defender Chris Sessegnon cleared Charlie Farmer’s header off the line. But, as in the first half, the glimmer of hope was quickly diminished by the hosts as three minutes after Farmers effort Whitehawk made it 3-0 when a ball into the box from David Martin hit Ashley Jones and gave Williams no chance. Still Horsham battled and again were very unfortunate not to score; Joe Shelley’s long range effort hitting the bar with ‘keeper Craig Ross beaten.

If the game was not already over as a contest then it certainly was in the seventieth minute when Jordan Rose smashed the ball past Williams from a couple of yards following an in-swinging corner. The home side comfortably played out the last twenty minutes dominating the possession apart from one late attempt from Kieron Pamment that was easily saved by Ross.

The performance and experienced gained by the players and staff from this match will stand Horsham in good stead if they can achieve their much hoped for return to higher league football next season. A trip to Shoreham tomorrow (January 16) is next up for the Hornets in the quest for that promotion.

Horsham Team: Williams, Duncan, Knee, Hunt, Jones, Farmer, Shelley, Archibald, Dodd, Pamment, Boswell. Subs: Keehan, Lewis, Atkinson, Burfiend, Charles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *