An inquest will hear details of how a young man from Horsham whose body was found at a rail line died.
A schoolboy discovered the 22-year-old’s body last Thursday morning and police officers inspected the scene just before 9am, near a play area in Amberley Close, not far from Littlehaven station.
The man’s body was removed for a post-mortem examination, the results of which will form part of a report to West Sussex Coroner Penelope Schofield. Police then began establishing the man’s identity so that relatives could be informed.
It is routine for deaths on railways lines or sudden unexplained deaths to be the subject of an inquest, where reports from British Transport Police investigators and any available witnesses will be considered by a coroner. No date has yet been set for the hearing, and at the time of the District Post going to press this week the name of the man had not been released to media.
A spokesman for British Transport Police told the Post this week: “We would not normally release the identity of the deceased person until an inquest is opened. We will be preparing a file for the coroner in this case.”
At present the exact circumstances of how the man came to die and why he was in the area are unknown and still being investigated but police have already ruled out foul play based on the information they have already have.
Train services were cancelled between Horsham and Three Bridges while preliminary investigations were carried out at the spot where the man was discovered and the body was removed. It is believed the man might have been at the spot for some time before he was discovered, and the post mortem might clarify that. West Sussex Coroner’s Office said earlier this week no inquest had yet been opened into the death.
A spokesman for British Transport Police said: “We were called to a foot crossing close to Rowlands Road in Horsham at 8.43am on Thursday, 26 November, following reports of a body close to the line.
“Colleagues from Sussex Police also attended and a 22-year-old man from Horsham was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The incident is not being treated as suspicious, and the man’s family has been informed. A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
Earlier this year in a safety campaign young people were targeted in a crossing safety campaign by British Transport Police officers. Operation Look brought extra patrols at a number of crossings.
In May the District Post highlighted the case of a young man captured on video at Littlehaven rail crossing, dumping his cycle on a platform and dashing along tracks. He survived but was then prosecuted.