An illegal immigrant who knocked down and killed a cyclist in Horsham will be deported to Albania after he serves a jail sentence.
Zisi Lushi was carrying fake “ID” documents and had no driving licence when he struck cyclist Michael Dixon in Kerves Lane, Horsham, after taking his brother’s silver Citroen C2 despite also having no insurance.
65-year-old Mr Dixon, of Trundle Mead, Horsham, died at the scene.
Mr Dixon was cycling south in Kerves Lane just before 11am on December 8 when Lushi, who was heading north, lost control of the Citroen and swerved across the road, hitting Mr Dixon and crashing the car into a hedge.
Lushi, who is originally from Albania, was carrying fake identification that claimed his name was Luigi Dannile. The 27-year-old had bought the indentification after entering the country illegally on the back of a lorry.
At Hove Crown Court on Friday last week he pleaded guilty to causing death while driving without a licence and without insurance. He was found not guilty of causing death by dangerous driving but was convicted of causing death by careless driving.
When Lushi, of Broadwater Lane, Copsale, near Horsham, appeared at the same court on Monday he was jailed for 14 months and told he would be deported to Albania after he had served his sentence.
Sergeant Alan Spicer, of Sussex and Surrey roads policing unit, said: “Lushi had no good reason to be behind the wheel.
“It is not clear why he lost control of the Citroen but the combination of the vehicles’ tyres being in a dangerous condition and Lushi being an unqualified driver contributed to what happened.
“Lushi’s decision to drive that day cost Mr Dixon his life. His disregard for the law means that he is now in prison.
“Driving without a licence is a serious offence that puts not just unqualified drivers but other road uers in danger. If you see someone driving who you know does not have a licence please contact us so we can take action before someone else is seriously hurt or even killed.”
After the sentencing Mr Dixon’s family said in a statement: “There are no winners in this case and Mr Lushi will have to live with the knowledge that his actions on the morning of 8 December 2014 ultimately took away the innocent life of a much loved husband, father, grandfather and friend to so many.
“Dad lived life to the full and he had achieved so much but we all know he had so much more to give.
“As a family we would like to thank the police for all their ongoing support and assistance since the incident happened. We will now have to come to terms with our loss and the sentence given, before moving forward in the knowledge that Dad’s life, achievements and exceptional spirit will live strong in our memories forever.”
Anyone with information about dangerous or unlicensed drivers should call 101 or report them atwww.operationcrackdown.co.uk. If you see someone driving dangerously, call 999.