Football – Three defeats without scoring for Horsham

Horsham 0 – 2 Hythe Town

Tuesday March 25 – Ryman League Div. 1 South

Another disappointing performance, compounded by a huge error from keeper Mark Zawadski, saw the Hornets slump to their third successive defeat without scoring. Beaten by a long punt up field by the Folkestone keeper 3 days earlier, Zawadski allowed himself to be dispossessed in his area after reacting slowly to a harmless back pass and presenting Hythe’s Shaun Welford with an open goal to tap the ball into.

The first half hour produced a lot of effort from both sides but with very little end product. Ashley Robinson had an overhead attempt and Zawadski misjudged a forward pass allowing Craig Thompson to nick the ball off him Ryan Woodford however managed to deflect the effort away from goal saving Zawadski from another expensive outcome to an error.

The Hythe strike partnership of Welford and Thompson caused problems throughout, giving the Hornets’ centre backs Woodford and Jahmahl King a hard time. A mix up at the back by Horsham allowed Dan Stubbs to get a shot on target however Woodford stretched to divert the goal bound effort for a corner. The relief was short lived as from the resulting corner an unmarked Lee Pleau blasted the ball into the net, completing the scoring for the first half.

In similar fashion to the first half the match became a huff and puff affair with little content. Long range inaccurate efforts from Robinson and Pacheco were the sum of Horsham’s efforts, Welford and Thompson going close for Hythe being the visitor’s end product.

Then came Zawadski’s blunder from Woodford’s back pass and from 2-0 the toothless Hornets attack was never going to pull the game round. To their credit Horsham never let their heads drop and continued to try and create an opening but as with the last two games it all broke down when they reached the opposition’s penalty area.

Manager Charman tried to change things with the introduction of Tony Nwachukwu for Hamilton on the hour and Akwasi Fobi-Edusei and Jake Legrange coming on for Kaffo and Pacheco with 12 minutes remaining. As the match drew to a conclusion there was still time for a Deja Vu moment for the Hornets keeper Zawadski when a Jamie Collado lob shot from the half way line headed towards his goal. This time unlike 3 days earlier the Hornets keeper managed to turn and claim the ball before it crossed the line.

The final whistle brought to an end a fairly uninspiring match with little action of note from either side. The result was again determined by the Hornets’ habit of making calamitous errors at the back and without Jamie Cade, a toothless attack that again failed to get a single effort on target.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *