Classy performance sees Horsham into the next round

After a superb victory over Faversham, Horsham have earned a home tie against Chatham in the next round of the FA Cup, and are now just two wins away from a potential tie against a Football league side.

After two recent disappointing home defeats the manner of this victory was surprising with the Hornets dominating the game making the eventual 2-0 final score flattering to the visitors. The Sunday afternoon kick off time was obviously something that Horsham’s football fans found inviting, a noisy crowd of 361 turned out to cheer the Hornets to victory.

Faversham started well and had the best of the early exchanges however Horsham weathered the storm and came back to take control of the game.

The Hornets nearly took the lead when a Dunn cross was headed back into the box by Nwachukwu where the waiting Morley was just beaten to the ball by the keeper.

On 22 minutes the now dominant Hornets saw their superior possession rewarded when Morley bent a superb free kick around the visitors wall and into the bottom corner to give the midfielder his second goal of the season and the Hornets the lead.

Billy Dunn was creating havoc in the Faversham defence and was unlucky not to add to the lead when his curling shot just cleared the bar.

Nwachukwu, Cade and Dunn all had further efforts on the visitor’s goal only to see them all sail just wide each time, the second goal the team’s performance warranted never came however and the Hornets went in at the break with a slender one goal lead.

Horsham continued to press the Faversham defence after the restart and Cade was again unlucky not to score seeing his effort to chip the keeper smothered.

A further chance came the Hornets way five minutes later when Dunn collected Gary Charman’s quickly taken free-kick, lost his markers and found Hamilton who slipped Napper in to set up Morley who shot just over the crossbar.

The crowd were getting nervy with the home sides dominance failing to result in goals and the worry that this was going to be ‘one of those games’ was on a lot of Hornets fans minds.

Morley was doing his best to ease those worries having a number of attempts on goal thwarted and putting another couple just wide, however a couple of defensive mix ups nearly let Faversham in for what would have been a cruel and undeserved equaliser.

As it seemed Faversham were starting to get a slight hold on the game they were hit on the break and the Hornets secured the victory. Gabriel Odunaike who had only been on for a couple of minutes after replacing Cade, was sent through by Dunn’s pin point pass from which he sent a low ball to the far post where Nwachukwu smashed the ball home.

Morley, who had been superb throughout, nearly made it 3 in the dying minutes but when the final whistle came the home crowd gave their team the ovation the performance deserved. The Hornets and their happy supporters can now look forward to a Third Qualifying Round home tie against Chatham Town content with display and the £4,500 bonus the victory earned them.

Horsham Team: Hunter, Hamilton, Billy-Joe King, Jahmahl King, Charman, Napper, Morley, Harris, Dunn, Cade (Odunaike 82) Nwachukwu (Kedze 90)

Unused Subs:Mitchell, Collier, Legrange, Varley, Frankland

Goals: Morley (22) Nwachuwku (84) Attendance: 361

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *